Testosterone Review. Forms and action of the drug. Dosage, Side Effects, Cycles
Testosterone is the primary male sex hormone, androgen, has pronounced anabolic properties: increases muscle mass, accelerates Protein synthesis. It is naturally secreted by the testes in men. Women also secrete some through the ovaries, and some is also produced by the adrenal glands. It is the product of peripheral metabolism. Synthetic testosterone products are often used in bodybuilding.
Testosterone itself is biologically poorly active and weakly binds to the androgen receptor, and before it acts on the target cell bodies androgen receptors, it must be capable of modification by the enzyme 5α-reductase. This produces a biologically active form of testosterone - Dihydrotestosterone.
- Increased muscle mass
- Testosterone is involved in the development of male reproductive organs, secondary sexual characteristics: deep voice, masculine facial features, hair growth on male type, etc.
- It provides spermatogenesis and sexual behavior
- It has impact on nitrogen and phosphorus metabolism.
- Increased blood pressure
- Water retention
- Aggression, irritability,
- Alopecia (baldness of the scalp)
- Testosterone Propionate
- Testosterone Phenylpropionate
- Testosterone Enanthate
- Testosterone Cypionate
- Testosterone pills (Andriol testosterone undecanoate)
- Testosterone gel (AndroGel, test)
- Testosterone Suspension
- Testosterone esters and derivatives thereof
- Composite preparations (steroid mixes)
French scientists’ study showed that men who eat spicy food, have higher levels of testosterone, consequently, increased sexual activity. The results of this work are presented in the Physiology & Behavior magazine.